Die letzte Szene hat immer wieder geprobt werden müssen

Translation requests are off-topic here. You may get away with it if you can explain a bit what you already researched and what you don't understand and why the dictionary did not help. – Robert Dec 10 '17 at 22:40
  • Why are they off topic? Who makes the topics? I am just asking a question. Ok what tense is in my message - are we allowed to answer that? – der Schotte Dec 10 '17 at 22:52
    "The last scene had to be rehearsed again and again." But read the guidelines about pure translations. The sentence is overly complicated, IMO: "Die letzte Szene musste immer wieder geprobt werden" sounds better and simpler. Here, "werden" indicates passive, and not some kind of future tense. – Rudy Velthuis Dec 10 '17 at 22:59
  • @derSchotte: About what's off topic, there might be a discussion on meta. – user unknown Dec 10 '17 at 23:36
  • Help yourself: deepl.com/translator – user unknown Dec 10 '17 at 23:37

This is a simple perfect tense, complicated by the additional presence of both passive and modal markers.

Die letzte Szene hat immer wieder geprobt werden müssen

=

The last scene has had to be rehearsed over and over (i.e., they've had to rehearse the last scene over and over)

(Note that "müssen" looks like an infinitive, but is in fact a replacement form for the past participle which is used only in specific circumstances - this is one such circumstance.)

• This is interesting. In translation it sounds like the 'passive voice' but isn't grammatically formed in any of the tenses of the passive. Anyway, to my German friends - do you agree that the sentence is an acceptable one? Meaning it does not have any grammar mistakes in it? (I don't think I will ever get the hang of German by the way!) – der Schotte Dec 10 '17 at 23:06
  • That sentence is grammatical and the preferred way to express that thought. Perfect, passive voice had been Die Szene ist immer wieder geprobt worden. Geprobt is in here because it's passive voice and worden is the past particple of werden as an auxiliary. If you mix in modals as müssen, worden becomes werden again, ist changes to hat (because müssen requires haben), and müssen itself is put into the Ersatzinfinitiv instead of its past participle. – Janka Dec 10 '17 at 23:16

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.