I stumbled upon both these sentences:

Wir müssen den Zubehör selbst bezahlen.

Wir müssen das Zubehör selbst bezahlen.

Which got me confused. I thought one of them had to be wrong, so I went to check what was the right answer here, and to my surprise... it seems like it has two genders??

Is this right? Does this noun have two possible genders??

Is that independent of the context?

Never ever used or heart "der Zubehör". Probably in other regions than in North Gemany. – harper Dec 14 '17 at 6:04

Yes and yes - Nouns sometimes have 2 different genders in German, normally these are regional differences or a not-yet finally settled gender with a loanword (not the case here).

I personally would, however, never use der Zubehör. Duden is a bit more specific than canoo and at least mentions that der Zubehör is rarely used.

| improve this answer | |
    Der Zubehör is old-fashioned, probably from law speech. See der Behör as a reference. – Janka Dec 14 '17 at 4:56
  • Never heard or said "Der Zubehör" in my life. But then again, I am just a humble native speaker :-) – shartelle Jan 1 at 18:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.