I've got the idea of werden, würden, wurden etc. However, my German teacher pronounces würden like wurden, which I believe is wrong as I have listened to German singers say it differently. How is it correctly pronounced?

ˈvʏʁdn̩. What kind of answer are you looking for? – Carsten S Dec 20 '17 at 23:57
  • @CarstenS I pretty much knew how to pronounce it so I don't even know why I asked the question, but my main worry was what should I do when it comes to a speaking exam, and I may want to use both the conditional and passive. – Tom Edwards Dec 21 '17 at 0:01
    "u" und "ü" are very different vowels, but not in all languages. English is very sensitive to the little pronouncation differences. – user259412 Dec 21 '17 at 1:56
    Did you mean: German is very sensitive to the little pronouncation differences. – Janka Dec 21 '17 at 2:56
    I very much doubt a teacher could grade you badly for your better pronunciation. However you might not want to explicitly correct her. My brother (a native speaker) once took German class to secure an easy ace. His teacher had studied in Baden-Württemberg, where some people pronounce ‚hast‘ as ‚hascht‘. She started to ask ‚Hascht Du...‘ and my brother exclaimed ‚ich hasche nicht‘, which can mean both ‚I don’t smoke weed‘ and ‚I don’t attempt to catch‘. And there went the ace...;) – Ludi Dec 21 '17 at 22:11

"ü" and "u" are pronounced differently. You need to find a German-speaker (or a recording) to hear the difference. Here's a link to some examples (but not very good quality) https://de.forvo.com/search/w%c3%bcrden/

• Thanks, I see the difference in pronunciation now, but do you know why my teacher might pronounce it incorrectly, despite having a degree? – Tom Edwards Dec 21 '17 at 0:24
  • Maybe he hasn't spoken the language enough, or maybe he had bad teachers as well – PiedPiper Dec 21 '17 at 0:25
    Since I don't know your teacher and whether he knows the difference, I have no idea how he'll grade you. Do you want to learn good German, or do you just want a good grade? – PiedPiper Dec 21 '17 at 1:03
    Well, both to be honest – Tom Edwards Dec 21 '17 at 1:04
    I guess the reason is that the u-umlaut sound does not exist in English and it is not so easy to build. I remember an Irish exchange student, who told me how he learnt to build this sound: "try to speak u (like in moon) and i (like in meat) at the same time" It works :-) and might be a hint for your teacher. – Harald Lichtenstein Dec 21 '17 at 8:27

https://www.dict.cc/?s=w%C3%BCrden Just klick at the speaker button and you can hear how words sound in german and english.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.