I don't find this word in any dictionary. What does it mean?

Sample excerpt, from here :

Der Akteur "erkennt das Gethane nur als das Seinige, insofern sich darin die Bestimmung des Zweckes findet, die subjectiv in ihm war. [...] In dem Meinigen verlange ich mein subjectives Wollen zu erkennen; und nur in sofern dies darin erkenntlich, erkenne ich das Gethane als das Meinige".

Your link points to outside the preview! – Ludi Dec 22 '17 at 17:28
    @Ludi: Click again! It seemed so to me too, but just by clicking a second time it worked. Must be a bug in google books. – Hubert Schölnast Dec 22 '17 at 17:32

This text is about 200 years old, it was written by Georg Wilhelm Friedrich Hegel (1770 - 1831).

Before the orthographic reform of 1901 the word tun (to do) was written with an h after t (thun). So also das Getane (the done = what was done) was written with this h.

So the first words of this paragraph translate to:

The actor "recognizes what was done only as what is his, ...

Note, that the h after t in German was a marker for aspirated pronunciation of the t (i.e. short sound of breath after t).

• And here is an example of a beautiful text from the end of that period. I took care not to choose a very old one, so that learners can guess the correspondences Thal/Tal, That/Tat... gutenberg.spiegel.de/buch/brigitta-198/3 – Ludi Dec 22 '17 at 17:26
    Well there was no standardised orthography until the 1870’s anyway … – Jan Dec 23 '17 at 3:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.