I know how we can use "von" and "bis" to specify a period of time with numbers only like this example:

"Er hat von 1980 bis 1985 bei uns als Arzt angefangen zu arbeiten."

So can we add sentences with "von" and "bis" to specify a period of time including numbers and using commas? Like this example:

"Er hat von 1980, nach Abschluss seines Bachelorstudiums, bis 1985, zur Zeit des Kriegsausbruchs, bei uns als Arzt angefangen zu arbeiten."

Your sentence doesnt make sense. You can't start ("anfangen") five year long as a doctor.

You may say

Er hat von 1980 bis 1985 bei uns als Arzt gearbeitet.

or

Er hat 1980 bei uns als Arzt angefangen und arbeitete bis 1985.

With details you may say

Er hat von 1980, nach Abschluss seines Bachelorstudiums, bis 1985, der Zeit des Kriegsausbruchs, bei uns als Arzt gearbeitet.

But I would prefer

Er hat nach dem Abschluss seines Bachelorstudiums 1980 bis zum Kriegsausbruch 1985 bei uns als Arzt gearbeitet."

An additional remark: You write once 'ihres Bachelorstudiums'. Ihres is female. You wrote more often "Er" (not "Sie") and "Arzt" (not "Ärztin"), so I guess you want to express a male (or neutral) version.

• Ich bin da nicht so sicher. Für einen Zeitraum, der so weit zurückliegt, können auch 5 Jahre eine Anfangszeit sein. – user unknown Jan 3 '18 at 19:26
  • @Nafmee If you want to talk about a single event which lies within a range of time you use "zwischen" and "und" instead: "He arrived here some day between 1980 and 1983." would be: "Er kam hier (irgendwann) zwischen 1980 und 1983 an." – Martin Rosenau Jan 3 '18 at 21:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.