I am looking for a German phrase similar to the expression

Sorry for the noise.

used in English speaking forums.

I'd like to excuse an inquiry made in business correspondence that turned out to be obsoloete or irrelevant.

Personally, given the context I would probably write:

Bitte entschuldigen Sie die überflüssige/unnötige Anfrage.

I would put

Ich bitte um Entschuldigung für die Störung.

at the end of your apology. A less formal excuse is:

Ich bedauere die Störung.

• The latter suggestion doesn't really fit the context provided in the question. He isn't trying to recruit survey respondents. – johnl Jan 4 '18 at 10:15
  • Oh sorry, you're right. I will correct my post. – clemens Jan 4 '18 at 10:17
    Im Kontext eines Forums würde ich eher noch die Formulierung "Entschuldigt die Störung" oder "Entschuldigung für die Störung" wählen. Deine Formulierung klingt doch etwas sehr förmlich. – RoyPJ Jan 4 '18 at 10:21
    @RoyPJ Der Kontext ist aber "business correspondence". – johnl Jan 4 '18 at 10:24
    @RoyPJ: Ja, das klingt immer sehr förmlich, wenn man um Entschuldigung bittet. Das ist aber so richtig, da nur der „Geschädigte“ das Verhalten entschuldigen kann. Entschuldigung für ... ist somit eigentlich sehr unhöflich. – clemens Jan 4 '18 at 10:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.