What does the indefinite pronoun einige point to, in this sentence?

• beträchtliche Anzahl, ziemlich viele; nicht wenige I am not sure what your question is, since it lacks correctness in English grammar.. – RoyPJ Jan 5 '18 at 14:33
  • Es gibt an dieser Stelle schon einige Unfälle. – Millen Jan 5 '18 at 14:38
  • @RoyPJ wenige, nicht allzuviele, etwas - "Einige" can both mean "few" and "quite a few" – tofro Jan 5 '18 at 14:38
  • @tofro Indeed, but in this context it describes that more than a few have happened. To owner: can you please state your question? Do you want the meaning of einige? What do you mean with point? – RoyPJ Jan 5 '18 at 15:01
  • @RoyPJ In what context? I seem to fail to see any. – tofro Jan 5 '18 at 15:05

This is a much better question than the downvotes are suggesting :).

Grammatically, what you can observe here is the so-called "Distanzstellung" of an indefinitum (here: "einige"). With that in mind, just note that the sentence is basically a "rattled" version of

An dieser Stelle hat es schon einige Unfälle gegeben.

The reason is generally contextual, but preferences also vary regionally. (You provide no context.)

Such a "flexibility" can be observed with other indefinita as well, e.g. kein or manche. It's not confined to German, but a phenomenon observed across a wide variety of languages (the term of art is "quantifier floating", should you wish to dig deeper).

• I'm afraid this answer misses to answer the question, as far as I understand it. – tofro Jan 5 '18 at 15:24
    Can you please explain, why you put so many words in quotation marks? Distanzstellung, rattled, flexibility and quantifier floating, what do you really mean, if not, what the words usually mean? – user unknown Jan 5 '18 at 15:40
  • @userunknown I see nothing unusual about putting words from another language in quotation marks. "Rattled" and "flexibility" are non-technical, transferred terms. And in "the term X", it is entirely normal to put X either in quotation marks or italics. Not sure why you would think that quotations marks necessarily indicate a deviation from the ordinary meaning. – johnl Jan 5 '18 at 15:51
    There is no help in putting unusual words in quotation marks. Quotation marks are mainly used for direct speech and citation. You don't cite anyone, nor is there a different speaker. It indicates a change in the speaker, a different voice. Why would I change my voice at these words? There is no reason to do so. Another usage is, if there is an ambiguity and you want to to underline the usage of a word, not for the normal thing it stands for, but for the word as word. But in cases like "The term of art is ..." it is clear, that now the term follows, no need for emphasize. – user unknown Jan 6 '18 at 8:52
  • And what's wrong with "Distanzstellung"? Why is it only so-called? What is it in real? How should it be called? In English sentences, I can't see a problem with "rattled" which is ordinary English, isn't it? Some people talked about the "so called >> DDR <<" to underline, that it is only called democratic, while it in fact was not. What else is the purpose of so-called in your expression? If you put an ordinary word like flexibility in quotes, I wonder what you mean instead. Obviously not what flexibility normally means. belleslettres.eu/content/zeichensetzung/anfuhrungszeichen.php – user unknown Jan 6 '18 at 9:00

It means "a few" and is talking about a few accidents. Unfälle are accidents.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.