I'm trying to learn German. How can I ask somebody (e.g. in a cafe) to help me with that?

I want to say something like that:

– Hi, I'm Peter. Do you have a minute for me?
-- I'm learning German. Can I ask you a few questions?
–– (me trying to ask some questions)

I translated it into something like that:

– Hallo, ich bin Peter. Haben Sie eine minute für mich?
-- Ich bin Deutsch lernen. Kann ich bitte Sie ein paar Fragen?

Is it a polite form? How can I ask politely? I want to annoy people as less as possible

closed as off-topic by Robert, clemens, Philipp, IQV, Jan Jan 9 '18 at 12:19

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "German Language SE is for specific questions of general interest and to help you learn and understand. Thus, requests for proofreading, spell checking or translations of individual texts are not a good fit here. If you can, please narrow down your question to a single specific source of concern. See this post on Meta for more information." – Robert, clemens, Philipp, IQV, Jan
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Put in reopen queue because the above close reason appears not to fit. – Takkat Jan 10 '18 at 8:31
    Small tip: In German you can use the Konjunktiv form to ask as passive as possible. But it is already advanced German. – Thomas Jan 10 '18 at 10:16

Hallo, ich bin Peter.

correct

wrong: Haben Sie eine minute fur mich?
correct: Haben Sie eine Minute für mich?

In German all nouns need to be capitalized: wrong: minute. correct: Minute
The dots on umlauts are not optional, they are mandatory: wrong: fur. correct: für
If you can't type umlauts, type an e after the vowel (ue instead of ü) because the dots on the vowels developed over the centuries from an e after this vowels.
wrong: fur. acceptable: fuer. correct: für

wrong: Ich bin Deutsch lernen.
correct: Ich lerne Deutsch.

German has nothing like progressive form (ing-form). So something like »ich bin lernen« simply is wrong in German. Both "I learn" and "I am learning" translate to »ich lerne« in German.

wrong: Kann ich bitte Sie ein paar Fragen?
correct: Kann ich Sie bitte etwas fragen?
or: Kann ich Ihnen bitte ein paar Fragen stellen?

Both forms are good style and polite.

Learn:

• Fragen = questions (a noun in plural form)
  • fragen = to ask (a verb in its infinite form)

Remember the rule about nouns I mentioned above: Always write nouns with an uppercase first letter. This rule only applies to nouns, not to verbs! (Well, also the first word of a sentence needs to be capitalized, no matter what kind it is.)

So, the sentence you wrote contains no verb, which means: It isn't a sentence. An English equivalent might be:

Can I you some question please?

So you need a verb, and "to ask" is »fragen« in German, which gives:

Kann ich Sie bitte etwas fragen?
Please, can I ask you something?

But in German there is a very common phrase. In English, the noun question is very different from the verb to ask, while in German they are equal, except from upper/lowercase writing of the first letter. So a direct translation would be:

to ask a question
eine Frage fragen

This is grammatically correct, but very bad style. Never use the verb fragen together with the noun Fragen in the same sentence. Use this phrase instead:

to ask a question
eine Frage stellen

(verbatime translation: to put/place a question)

Hubert is of course right that, if you do not have ä, ö, ü available you can replace them with ae, oe, ue. However, nowadays, as you are writing on a computer, I do not see a legitimate excuse for not spelling things correctly. The ae-oe-ue-thing came up in a time when there were only mechanical typewriters, and people in other countries simply did not have the types for deutsche Umlaute in their localized machines. Today it is just a question of giving your keyboard the correct settings. – Christian Geiselmann Jan 5 '18 at 16:56
  • @ChristianGeiselmann: And still, even in 2017/18 people even here in the German spoken Austria type oe into their computers instead of ö when they write my name: Six weeks ago (End of November 2017) I broke my shoulder. In the hospital I had to show my ID card, which clearly says »Hubert Schölnast« (with ö), but the lady there typed »Hubert Schoelnast« into the computer (using a German Keyboard). The effect is: When I sit in the waiting room, and they call me for x-ray, they say: »Herr Scho-elnast, Röntgenzimmer zwei« instead of »Herr Schölnast, ...« – Hubert Schölnast Jan 5 '18 at 19:15
    As was stated correctly, the continouus form (I am learning) has no direct counterpart in German. As an aside: learning can be one of two different grammatical forms: the gerund, which is translated as the infinitive (lernen) and the present participle, which is translated as the Partizip I (lernend, which doesn't work here because of the aforementioned lack of a continouus form in German) – RHa Jan 6 '18 at 16:57
  • Fixed an issue with an umlaut and added a German keyboard. – kharandziuk Jan 8 '18 at 16:57
  • @HubertSchölnast Na, dann hoffe ich mal, dass die Róntgenapparate besser waren als die Computer ;-) – Robert Jan 11 '18 at 5:08

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.