Ich kämpfe mit den Freunden.

Does this mean that I fight against my friends or not? Or it's context dependant?

Can I say the following?

Ich kämpfe mit den Freunden gegen die Feinde.

Does it mean that I and friends fight against the enemy?

1 Answer 1

It depends on the context

Mit in the sense of gegen:

Ich kämpfe mit meinen Freunden um den ersten Preis beim Eierlauf.

Beim Wagenrennen im alten Byzanz kämpften die Blauen mit den Grünen. Mal gewannen die Blauen, mal die Grünen.

Paul kämpfte mit sich selbst. Sollte er der Versuchung nachgeben und mit Erna ins Kino gehen? Was würde Gudrun dazu sagen, wenn sie es erführe?

Mit in the sense of together with:

Die Engländer kämpften mit den Franzosen gegen die Deutschen.

Paul kämpft mit Erna für den Erhalt des Stadtparks.

Accordingly, theoretically you could say something like

Paul kämpft mit Erna mit der Business-Fraktion des Stadtrats für den Erhalt des Parks

where you mean that Paul together with Erna fights against the business lobby in the city council for preserving the park. But of course you would avoid such a sentence as it is rather confusing. Whereever there could be any doubt, you will prefer gegen when this is the intended meaning.

• I would say, that in the first sentence "Ich kämpfe mit meinen Freunden um den ersten Preis beim Eierlauf." it can mean both "fight against my friends" and "fight together with my friends [against another team]", depending on the context. Maybe the ambiguous meaning can come from the fact, that "Eierlauf" can be played both as a single player game and a team game. Jan 5, 2018 at 19:52
  • @tallistroan Yes, indeed, fully depending on the context. I just thought that in a typical (simple-most) situation of Eierlauf individuals are competing with each other, not teams. When you and your friends are a team competing with other teams, then... uff... yes, you know what I mean. Jan 6, 2018 at 18:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.