I saw someone say "von der aller beste" finishing her remarks towards someone else. I know this translates to "from all the best"(meaning what I said is from all my best intentions/wishes maybe?)
But I can't understand why it's "aller" here. If "all" is an adjective, shouldn't it be "allen" because beste is a plural and the adjective should end with -en in case of plural dative after "der"?

• "Alle", like in the headline, or "aller"? Without more context imho nearly unanswerable. There might be syllables lost or words omitted. It might be a dialect or personal habit involved. If it was an answer, what was the question? – user unknown Jan 7 '18 at 0:54
    The one who said it is a Korean learning German (may have used German before). So it sure is not a dialect. :) When I said that I learned "von der Allerbesten" is the right expression, she agreed and thanked me for the correction. – Chan Kim Jan 8 '18 at 1:55

The phrase von der aller beste isn't proper German. You may have heard

von der Allerbesten

Der/die/das Allerbeste is a noun made from a super-superlative of the adjective gut. You can use this super-superlative with almost any adjective.

gut – besser – am besten – am allerbesten

neu – neuer – am neuesten – am allerneuesten

blau – blauer – am blauesten – am allerblauesten

You may also hear people adding more aller:

Ich hab' dich am allerallerallerliebsten.

That sounds very childish and may be used for effect.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Ah I see. Danke schön.😊 – Chan Kim Jan 6 '18 at 10:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.