Einige Leute mögen solche Lösungen lieber nicht.
Rund 40 solcher Center beschäftigen 15000 Leute.

"solcher" in the 2. sentence is Genitiv; how could we identify The Indefinite pronoun in Genitiv?

Rund 40 solcher Center beschäftigen 15000 Leute.

Solcher/solche/solches is a demonstrative pronoun. As this is clearly plural, the indefinite article ein does not match. But einige does:

Einige solcher Center beschäftigen 15000 Leute.

Keiner/keine/keines is also an indefinite determiner, but it commands the singular:

Keines dieser Center beschäftigt 15000 Leute.

(You should not use solcher/solche/solches with keiner/keine/keines.)

Oh, and using Center means I talk Denglish, bow to me! There is an existing word for this, das Zentrum, die Zentren, which had been imported a while ago and got through the proper Germanification already. Use it.

• thanks indeed ... so "Rund 40 solcher Center" means here "around 40 of such centers" that is why Genitive – Millen Jan 8 '18 at 14:30

The use of indefinite pronouns varies from pronoun to pronoun. If your goal is to figure out the case as part of a translation, I would suggest to look for clues from other declined words, e.g. the noun or adjectives.

But let's investigate your example to illustrate this a little bit: solch- can appear both declined or not declined. If solch- is declined, the same rules as for gemischte Deklination (eng.: mixed declension?) of an adjective apply. I.e. in plural you would use the same endings as for the starke Deklination (strong declension). In singular, solch- would get the endings for *schwache Deklination (weak declension), together with ein-. E.g.:

plural

solcher Männer/Frauen/Häuser

singular:

(eines) solchen Mannes

(einer) solchen Frau

(eines) solchen Hauses

For complete tables see e.g.: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_declension#Adjectives

No declension

You might also encounter the use of solch with no ending. In that case, the following adjective (if any) is strongly declined and can help you with the case:

Solch schöner Männer/Frauen/Häuser

solch schönen Mannes

solch schöner Frau

solch schönen Hauses

Main source:

Der kleine Duden Deutsche Grammatik

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.