Weiß ja nicht, ob es an diesem neuen Politiker liegt, aber langsam wird es mir hier zu ungemütlich.

Initially, I was tempted to interpret this "hier" as "in this place where I am now", but I wonder if it is actually more like "at this point / now", perhaps related to the word "langsam" in the sense of "endlich"?

If this is about a politician, then "hier" simply means the area whose representative he is - probably the province or the entire country. – Kilian Foth Jan 10 '18 at 8:20
  • langsam = slow, slowly
  • hier = here

(Ich) weiß ja nicht, ob es an diesem neuen Politiker liegt, aber langsam wird es mir hier zu ungemütlich.
I do not know if it's up to this new politician, but slowly it gets too uncomfortable for me here.

The process of becoming uncomfortable is going on, and it is processing slowly. It has started in the past, is getting more and more uncomfortable, and it will go on also in the future. Uncomfortness is growing slowly, in small steps, and the end is not reached yet.

And it is getting uncomfortable here, where I am. In my favorite pub, at home, on my work, in my city, in my country. Here, at the place where I am.

Langsam in this sentence is an adverb related to ungemütlich werden. The situation becomes slowly more and more awkward. You can translate hier with here in this sentence. There is nothing exceptional.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.