I realise that abbilden and nachbilden mean something similar, i.e. to copy or to reproduce. However, is there a specific context in which it is more appropriate to use one or the other?

Did you try at least an online-translator? This would give you already many hints of the different meaning! – IQV Jan 12 '18 at 6:30
  • @IQV: Well, somehow they have to have acquired the English translations. – Wrzlprmft Jan 14 '18 at 16:06

"Abbilden" means more like making a picture of something. "Nachbilden" means more to build something as close to the original as possible.

The result of "Abbilden" is something else that shows the original object, the result of "Nachbilden" is something that should look or feel as close to the original object as possible.

• Also see die Abbildung (figure) vs. die Nachbildung (replica). But careful about das Abbild, which can again mean both. – Janka Jan 12 '18 at 8:32
  • THANKS - I always suspected it was something along those lines. – Stephen Block Jan 12 '18 at 9:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.