Whats is the translation for "practical driving test pass certificate" in German?

  • 5
    What did dictionaries and online translation services reveal? Why has that not been sufficient to answer your question? Jan 23 '18 at 2:44
  • 3
    What is it in English?
    – Eller
    Jan 23 '18 at 7:49
  • 5
    I vote for re-opening the question. Rationale: as such a thing does not exist in German (speaking countries), Nafmee (who is asking) can hardly look it up in a dictionary. (There is yet no "German Dictionary of Non-existing Things".) Rather the task would be to find a suiting name for a thing like that e.g. for cases when you have to refer to it in an other country's context. Candidates for such a word: Fahrprüfungsbescheinigung, Fahrprüfungszeugnis, Fahrprüfungsschein. Jan 23 '18 at 9:44
  • 2
    @Eller I interpret it as a document you would get from your driving school after successfully passing the practical driving test; this makes sense of course only in countries where you can appear to the practical test before having passed the written exam; I suppose there are countries where this is common. Jan 23 '18 at 9:52
  • 3
    @ChristianGeiselmann Interpreting is one thing but translation is another ;) To translate you should know, not interpret. This is why I have asked that.
    – Eller
    Jan 23 '18 at 9:55

Noting that apparently there is a term (see above the answer mentioning Prüfbescheinigung) I anyway want to suggest the following alternative neologisms:




Bescheinigung der bestandenen Fahrprüfung

Rationale: Prüfbescheinigung may be in use in the business indeed, but it is not intelligible for anybody outside (without the context) because it is completely unspecific. Prüfbescheinigung can also be a document issued by an engineer checking the soundness of whatever machinery, or the document issued by a chimneysweep after measuring exhaust gases of an oven and what not.

So, if the word is to be used in, say, fiction, a word that is more specific and self-contained such as the above would be the better choice.


You may not find an answer to this question because such a thing does not exist. If you pass the practical driving exam, you've got your driving permission and you get the driving license. You are required to pass the theoretical exam before you can attempt a practical exam (at least I think that's also the case in germany). What the examiner does is sign off your learner's license so that it is valid as normal driving license until you get the final one shipped.


The correct term seems to be "Prüfbescheinigung", see the comment from scienceponder. Here's a link. This form may be outdated, though.

  • 2
    It does not exist in Germany. What about other countries? And even such things can be translated. Jan 23 '18 at 8:31
  • I wouldn't translate a proper name. I would keep it as it is and add a word-for-word "translation" to explain it.
    – Janka
    Jan 23 '18 at 9:21
  • 3
    I have to contradict. "Such a thing" exists. It's called Prüfbescheinigung and this is also how i would translate practical driving test pass certificate. One gets it right after passing the test, but before the actual licence is issued, e.g. the test can be done when one is still 17 years old, but the licence can not be obtained before the 18th birthday. Jan 23 '18 at 14:52
  • @scienceponder: Do you actually get a form with that name? I've never seen that.
    – PMF
    Jan 25 '18 at 15:34
  • 3
    @PMF Yes, you get that. The Fahrprüfer issues it right after the test. Without the Führerscheinstelle at Landratsamt, wich actually issues the license, would not have evidence that one passed. See a picture here: link Jan 27 '18 at 23:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.