I know there is one translation and that is Kaufmann. That is more for a grocery store.

I am wondering are there any names for a person who sells products to customers that are other buisnesses?

Example a company that sells programs for a POS system.

Put that as an answer. :)
    – salesguy
    Feb 1, 2018 at 17:33
    Welcome to German Language SE. Many dictionaries (e.g. this dictionary will give you a choice of different translations of salesman to German. I am not sure what exactly you are looking for. To get a good answer let me suggest you edit your question to give us more details and narrow the context.
    – Takkat
    Feb 1, 2018 at 17:36
    ... as well as Vertriebler, Verkäufer, Kundenbetreuer, Key Account Manager, Koofmich, and many others. It really depends on the industry and context. - By the way, what is a POS system? Feb 1, 2018 at 18:08
    @ChristianGeiselmann, point of sale nehme ich an. Wahrscheinlich eine Kasse ;)
    – Carsten S
    Feb 1, 2018 at 18:52
  • try to make clear: do you want all meanings of "Kaufmann"? as Janka already showed: there are multiple definitions. Or do you want a german translation for a special sales man? a sales man has multiple tasks to do and each task may be specified with another word (/translation) Feb 5, 2018 at 9:51

3 Answers 3

You are wrong with your assumption Kaufmann means someone who works in/for a grocery store. It's the common name for a grocery store.

But Kaufmann is also the name of a skilled trade, and there are many many specialized apprenticeships of that kind, all with that word in it. There's also the eingetragener Kaufmann, which is a law term for a single-person trade firm with some special properties. And of course, there's also the Kauffrau.

A company – more than one person – in contrary is a Gesellschaft. That's the law term but it's also used in common language. A Handelsgesellschaft is a company which trades goods. Same with Vertriebsgesellschaft. If it sells to the general public, it becomes a Einzelhandelsgesellschaft. (Same with the Einzelhandelskaufmann.)

There's no special name for a company that sells to companies only (or mostly). Großhandel exists, but that's more a class than a name. No one writes Großhandelsgesellschaft.

You can also simply write Händler for someone who trades, a person or a company:

Ihr Händler für Point-of-Sale-Systeme

Ihr Großhändler für Point-of-Sale-Systeme

You may want to use Ausstatter for someone who sells appliances.

Ihr Ausstatter für Point-of-Sale-Systeme

Your supplier for point-of-sale systems.

Verkäufer scheint mir die naheliegende Lösung zu sein.

Vertreter, Vertriebsmitarbeiter (corresponding to sales representative, sales employee)

or

Handlungsreisender (standard translation of Arthur Millers novel)

That translation is decades old, though. No one actually says "Handlungsreisender" for a door-to-door sales man anymore, the current term is Vertreter. Feb 2, 2018 at 11:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.