Is it

Der Weg, er ist gehend entlang?

or

Der Weg, er ist entlang gehend?

I want to use the present participle.

You can't use the present participle the same way you can in English because there is no continouus form in German. Also, in sentences like these the relative pronoun is mandatory. – RHa Feb 1 '18 at 19:53
    What does your textbook say? – Robert Feb 1 '18 at 20:45
  • @Robert Afaik textbooks aren't very strong in translating sentences. To me, both looks correct, both not being a native speaker, I am very bad in "how does it sound" questions. – peterh - Reinstate Monica Feb 1 '18 at 21:38
  • @peterh I am not saying that textbooks will have that particular sentence, but they will have general rules on constructing sentences and on when / how the participle is used. – Robert Feb 1 '18 at 21:47
    Wrong close reason, people... reopened and please have a look a this: german.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/1326/… – Takkat Feb 2 '18 at 7:59

"Der Weg, den er entlanggeht."

I don't think you can use the present participle here, only when you have some simultaneous action: "Den Weg entlanggehend redete er über das Wetter."

| improve this answer | |
    Entlang gehend or entlanggehend? – Janka Feb 1 '18 at 19:53
  • You're right it's entlanggehend - thought it was split according to NDR. Thx! – Zac67 Feb 1 '18 at 21:23

I only know this as

Der Weg, den er beschreitet.

FWIW, is going is a typical English form. In German, that form (using the present participle) is not used. They simply use the present tense of to go.

It may well be also simply

Der Weg, den er geht

Appropriate wording depends on where you want to use that sentence. You did not give any context, so there are many possible ways to express this; options would be restricted if we knew the context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.