Seine Leser hat er begeistert und verärgert, seine Heimat mit Liebe und Spott beschreiben.

I read this sentence in a book section talking about Heinrich Heine. Does this sentence misses zu in the 2. part? Should it be

Seine Leser hat er begeistert und verärgert, seine Heimat mit Liebe und Spott zu beschreiben.

closed as unclear what you're asking by user unknown, tofro, help-info.de, Hubert Schölnast, Robert Feb 2 '18 at 20:41

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Are you sure your quote is "beschreiben" and not "beschrieben"? – tofro Feb 2 '18 at 17:24
    I vote to close, since this is obviously a misreading: books.google.de/… – user unknown Feb 2 '18 at 18:21
    @tofro yes I revised it and it is beschrieben.Sorry – Millen Feb 2 '18 at 19:13
  • What makes it so hard to give a custom close reason for cases where our canned reasons won't fit? There is nothing "unclear" with this question. We even have a comment that would perfectly make such a custom reason. See german.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/1326/… – Takkat Feb 4 '18 at 19:27

It should be

Seine Leser hat er begeistert und verärgert, seine Heimat mit Liebe und Spott beschrieben.

That's actually an ellipsis of "hat er" in the second (part of the) sentence (seine Heimat hat er mit..); it is a somewhat poetic way of speaking.

Otherwise you are right, with "beschreiben" the "zu" would be missing. But the sentence does not make sense that way; you would need to alter it completely, e.g. for

Seine Leser hat er begeistert und verärgert, indem er seine Heimat mit Liebe und Spott beschrieb.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.