I am learning German by myself now. And I find the grammar of this sentence

Du bist der eine

whose translation is "you are the one", is very hard to understand.

"Eine" isn't supposed to be a noun, but there is still a "der" in front of it, which makes me very puzzled. Thanks for anyone who can help me solve this problem!!!

Actually the sentence has the same structure as its English counterpart, so it's a bit unclear to me what is so hard to understand about it. The reason why there is an article in front of "Eine" is exactly the same why there is a "the" in front of "one". An adjective or numeral can behave like a noun if the 'real' noun is missing. – RHa Feb 5 '18 at 8:33
  • "You are the one" --> "you are that single person". What is so hard about it? – Rudy Velthuis Feb 5 '18 at 12:43
    In English, it can even be plural: "We are the ones who make a brighter day, so let's start giving..." <g> – Rudy Velthuis Feb 5 '18 at 12:52
    Auch im Deutschen kann es Plural sein: "Die einen sagen so, die anderen so." – RHa Feb 5 '18 at 15:19
  • @RudyVelthuis it is probably confusing because words (nouns) ending in e are often femininum in German. – mathreadler Feb 5 '18 at 22:00

Eine is the indefinite article but also a count »one«, you have to add a matching noun in your thoughts:

Du bist der eine, der immer schwierige Fragen stellt.

Du bist der eine Mensch, der immer schwierige Fragen stellt.

You are the one (human) who always asks hard questions.

The noun may also be a thing:

Das ist die eine (Schraube), die sich von selbst löst.

This is the one (bolt) which loosens itself.

It also works for other counts:

Ihr seid also die zwei, auf die ich aufpassen soll?

So you are the two I should take care of?

| improve this answer | |
  • I would have written "You are that one (human) who always..." – Rudy Velthuis Feb 5 '18 at 12:46

»Du bist der eine« can mean¹ »you are one of two«. Gender is male since it's »der«.

Examples:

Wir stellen zwei Leute ein, du bist der/die eine.
(We hire two people, you are one of them.)

Du bist der eine, den wir einstellen. / Du bist die eine, die wir einstellen.
(You are one of two we hire.)

»eine« is used here as a cardinal number (Kardinalzahl).

The backtranslation of »you are the one« could be »du bist es« or »du bist derjenige/diejenige«.

Examples:

Du bist es, den ich liebe. / Du bist es, die ich liebe.
(You are the one whom I love.)

Du bist derjenige, den wir brauchen. / Du bist diejenige, die wir brauchen.
(You are the one we need.)

¹Response to commenters

| improve this answer | |
    "»Du bist der eine« means »you are one of [them, those]«." - this is only one possible translation. And I would consider especially your second example sentence wrong: "Du bist der eine, den wir einstellen." implies there is no-one else, whereas "You are one of those we hire." implies the opposite. – O. R. Mapper Feb 5 '18 at 10:06
  • @O.R.Mapper: »Du bist der eine, den wir einstellen« impliziert für mich, dass es auch noch einen anderen gibt. Gibt es keinen, würde ich sagen: »Du bist der, den wir einstellen«. – Pollitzer Feb 5 '18 at 10:36
    "Du bist der eine, den wir einstellen." hört sich für mich nach einem impliziten "Alle anderen haben wir abgelehnt." an. Wäre Letzteres nicht der Fall, würde ich sagen: "Du bist einer von denen, die wir einstellen." – O. R. Mapper Feb 5 '18 at 10:45
    The sentence doesn’t necessarily imply “… of two”. That’s just one possible usage. But it can (and is) also be used to express “you’re the [only] one for me”. I.e. out of all living people, the interlocutor is the speaker’s favourite person. Relatedly, it can be used to stand for to “der einzige”. Compare the Drosselbart song “Du bist der eine Weg”. – Konrad Rudolph Feb 5 '18 at 12:02
  • It can not be meant with it. "Wir stellen zwei Leute ein, du bist der/die eine." is simply wrong usage of German language. "Du bist der eine, den wir einstellen" implies that there is only one to employ. "Der eine" is another wording for "derjenige", which is a definite denotifier (there is one, and there is none/no one else). – rexkogitans Feb 5 '18 at 20:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.