I know that both mean "to use up" and "to consume"

I have made my research where "verbrauchen" and "aufbrauchen" mean "to spend"!!

How can they mean "to spend" ?

I would be thankful for an answer.

closed as unclear what you're asking by Robert, Philipp, peterh, IQV, Eller Feb 19 '18 at 14:06

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• I don't understand what you mean with the sentence ' How could these words be used as aufwenden?', could you explain it? Then I can include it in my answer. – RoyPJ Feb 14 '18 at 16:07
  • I have made an edit. – Hussien Chahin Feb 14 '18 at 16:21
  • Why shouldn't they mean "to spend"? I don't understand your question. – Robert Feb 14 '18 at 19:31
  • @Robert The main meaning is "to consume" but how are they used as "to spend" – Hussien Chahin Feb 14 '18 at 19:35
    You need to give us whole and unambiguous example sentences, otherwise it’s hard to impossible to understand what you mean. Words just have so many different meanings. – Philipp Feb 14 '18 at 20:06

To the original question: In general you are right that verbrauchen and aufbrauchen describe the consumption of something. Let me specify this in an example:

Karls Auto verbraucht Benzin. Wenn er nicht tankt, dann wird das Auto das Benzin aufbrauchen. Dann ist alles Benzin verbraucht/aufgebraucht.

Karl's car uses fuel. If he doesn't refill it, the car will use up the fuel. Then all the fuel is used up/consumed.

Therefore, aufbrauchen is a special case of verbrauchen, where in the end nothing is left. Note that verbrauchen can also be used in that sense. aufbrauchen is also a bit more colloquial.

Aufwenden does not fit in the context here, since it refers to spend/expend.

To the edit:

Sie kaufte immer mehr Süßigkeiten und brauchte so ihr ganzes Geld auf.
She bought more and more sweets and spent all her money that way.

Er verbraucht so viel Geld beim Einkaufen!
He spends so much money shopping!

I think verbrauchen/aufbrauchen are only used in the sense of to spend when you talk about money. Though you would usually use ausgeben in these occasions.

Aufwenden is not as frequently used as verbrauchen. On the other hand, it's a bit more formal, which is why it appears relatively often in books. As far as I know it is mostly used for time and money. A typical example is

Wir müssen dafür viel Zeit und Geld aufwenden.
We have to spend much time and money on that.

This post is also very related to this topic.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.