Is there a difference between the German suffixes -ation and -ierung?

Examples are

• Identifikation vs. Identifizierung
  • Publikation vs Publizierung
    I would recommend to change this to -tion and -ierung, see Abstraktion and Abstrahierung. – RoyPJ Feb 15 at 16:02
    Also, I think that the -ierung form more or less describes the action, while the -tion form describes the state itself. Nevertheless I can't really explain it nor have any reference besides my feeling. – RoyPJ Feb 15 at 16:04
  • @ RoyPJ: Right, I did no think of that case. I edited the question. – NashVio Feb 15 at 16:08
up vote 11 down vote accepted

As RoyPJ mentions and the German Duden denotes the following differences:

• mostly, in common usage, they can be used both ways.
  • sometimes, there is the subtle difference between indication of action and indication of state.
    • the suffix "ation" denotes the result of an action,
    • the suffix "ierung" the action itself. But, as a native speaker of German, this is subtle in many situations.

My source (in German) is https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/_ation__ierung

• Thanks PiedPiper and others for correction of my English - all my I* products I use from time to time do correct my English writings to German, and I always try to correct back... Typing on a IPhone with default language German is hard under these circumstances. – Walter Feb 17 at 17:55

-ation tends to denote a process as a whole or a notion, possibly even an object (cf. Publikation in the sense of published work as a printed artifact, Spezifikation as a technical document ), while -ierung focuses on the process over time. Examples would be:

• Abstraktion - Abstrahierung
  • Indikation - Indizierung
  • Publikation - Publizierung
  • Spezifikation - Spezifizierung

I cannot provide a reference other than the intuition of a native speaker. I can, however, give evidence that the difference is not clear-cut. In particular there are word pairs where the individual items carry wildly differing meanings and which cannot be substituted for each other:

• Differentiation - Differenzierung ( math. operation vs attention to differences in detail )
  • Kontraktion - Kontrahierung ( redution in volume vs. establishing a contract )
  • Reservation - Reservierung ( segregated territory vs. booking in advance )

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.