Is there a difference between ich fühle mich wohl and ich fühle mich gut? My text book only teaches using "wohl/nicht wohl" and I'm wondering if using 'gut/nicht gut' is also acceptable or not.

These sentences can be used differently. As a German I have experienced the following:

"Sich wohlfühlen" can also be translated to "being comfortable". Often it is used to describe a place or something that you do.

"Sich gut fühlen" on the other hand can be helpful to describe how you’re feeling or when you want to say you are motivated.

"Sich nicht gut fühlen" can also be translated to "feeling ill".

There are of course other usages and many of them overlap - as you suggested.

| improve this answer | |
  • sich nicht wohlfühlen however can never be exchanged with sich nicht gut fühlen: the former expresses being uncomfortable with a situation/place, the latter always expresses your health condition. – AmigoJack Feb 26 '18 at 13:41

... and I'm wondering if using 'gut/nicht gut' is also acceptable or not.

Both terms are equally well acceptable.

gut is a bit stronger than wohl in that expression, but the difference is subtle.

It is just the same "difference" as in english:

I am feeling well.

and

I am feeling good.

| improve this answer | |
  • wohlfühlen refers to being comfortable (which can also be your health condition), whereas gut fühlen refers to anything else (including your health condition). It's exchangable in most cases when used positively - using them negated however makes them far more distinctive. – AmigoJack Feb 26 '18 at 13:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.