Could anyone explain me, how should I understand the expression "einen Pflock einschlagen"? Of course, I mean something more then just hammering the peg. Like in this sentence:

Österreichs neuer Kanzler Sebastian Kurz schlug in Brüssel schon gleich einen Pflock ein: "Die EU muss schlanker werden".

"Dropping an anchor" maybe. – πάντα ῥεῖ Feb 24 '18 at 0:18
    I’d translate it almost literally as „he staked a claim“. – Rudy Velthuis Feb 25 '18 at 15:37

I would say that „einen Pflock einschlagen“, which indeed means driving a stake in the ground, here simply means „leave a mark“, in the sense of „staking a claim“ or „leaving an impression“.

Österreichs neuer Kanzler Sebastian Kurz schlug in Brüssel schon gleich einen Pflock ein: "Die EU muss schlanker werden".

That Pflock above is a stake, meant for marking the outline of a building on a construction site. Austria's new chancellor had driven his stake into the ground, marking his future EU as a smaller building than the old one.

When you claim a piece of land, you need to hammer pegs into the ground to mark your territory. Later you can use those pegs to build a fence around your land.

When Sebastian Kurz hammered his peg into the ground, he set a mark. He was claiming something. He claims that the European Union must get slimmer.

DE

»schlug einen Pflock ein« drückt aus, dass der Autor Kurz' Aussage als nachdrückliche, unverrückbare Forderung versteht. So, als hätte Kurz hinzugefügt: »Ohne das geht es nicht.«

EN

»schlug einen Pflock ein« expresses that the author takes Kurz' statement as insistent, unalterable demand. As if Kurz would have added: »Ohne das geht es nicht.« (»There's no way without it.«)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.