Like in "Star Wars: Die Rache der Sith" Sith is feminine why?

closed as unclear what you're asking by LangLangC, πάντα ῥεῖ, Hubert Schölnast, help-info.de, Dreikäsehoch Feb 25 '18 at 9:19

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Is it? I don’t think so, and from the example we cannot tell, because it is plural. – Carsten S Feb 24 '18 at 16:02
  • Welome here, FallenHero! Please take the tour and read the help center. You may improve your question with an edit and the help of How to Ask. – LangLangC Feb 24 '18 at 16:19
  • Für einen Nichttrekkie ist das nicht offensichtlich. "Die Rache der Ruth" wäre ok, und wirklich feminin, auch wenn "Ruths Rache" wohl von den meisten bevorzugt würde, schon wg. der Alliteration. – user unknown Feb 24 '18 at 18:05
    Trekkie? facepalm – Janka Feb 24 '18 at 18:46
    It isn't female. It is plural. It is like »Die Rache der Briten« or, to make it even clearer »Die Rache der Männer«. – Hubert Schölnast Feb 25 '18 at 6:22

Der is plural in that case not feminine, and the gender information is automatically lost with the German article.

Applied for individuals der Sith or die Sith could be used gender specific:

Der Sith, der meinen Vater getötet hat.

Die Sith, die meinen Sohn geboren hat.

Note the recurring article for these cases of use.

Worth to mention, that "Sith" is used in the Star Wars universe to attribute a group of people, and not a particular individuum('s name).

• I find the imagination, which lets a sith to give birth to your son, is hilarious. I am still laughing at it. – Endery Feb 26 '18 at 8:57

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.