I'm a bit confused. For dative plural, nouns end with n, the adjective ends in en, and the definite article is den.

So, for example: Der Junge lernt von DEN neuEN BücherN (the boy learns about the new books).

But, in the following example, the noun ends in s: Der Junge lernt von DEN neuEN AutoS (the boy learns about the new cars).

Why does das Auto end in S instead of N, as per the default rule? I'm assuming because das Auto ends with the "o" vowel, but I can't find any rules about this.

If you use the long form Automobil it's consistent again: Der Junge lernt von den neuen Automobilen. – πάντα ῥεῖ Mar 4 '18 at 14:17
    Even if you'll find a rule, each rule may have it's irregular exceptions. – πάντα ῥεῖ Mar 4 '18 at 16:00
  • Forget about rules. Learn using the language. - Or in milder words: rules are only sticks to help you slowly walk; but you walk better without a stick. Or more concretely: don't learn rules about case endings - learn [= memorize = get used to] the endings for each word and use them. Nobody who uses a language fluently is aware of "rules" while speaking; one simply knows the proper form 'by heart'. – Christian Geiselmann Mar 4 '18 at 23:03
  • I get told and read this advice a lot, but I have trouble understanding how it can be applied to German, since getting the wrong ending or case can change the meaning of a sentence. I understand that it's useful to get a feel for a language and familiarizing yourself enough with it to the point where it just feels comfortable and more natural, but I still feel like you need some understanding of grammar when it comes to German. You're right about fluency as I don't think of these rules with English (it's my first lang), but I still took English classes all my life and learned rules. – user9405683 Mar 5 '18 at 10:06

Articles, adjectives and nouns have different declination tables. You have to learn them separate from each other. Nouns also have a different declination depending on their nominative singular ending and gender.

There are a lot of words with vowel endings that are shortcuts of other words in reality, e.g.

der Pullover → der Pulli, die Pullis

der Kriminalroman → der Krimi, die Krimis

das Automobil → das Auto, die Autos

die Fotografie → das Foto, die Fotos

der Rolladen → das Rollo, die Rollos

der Akkumulator → der Akku, die Akkus

die Dokumentation → die Doku, die Dokus

(Please note the word sometimes even change the gender in the process.)

If those shortcuts end in -i, -o, -u, they follow the declination of words ending in -a, which are all loan words:

die Kamera, die Kameras

That's the same for shortcuts ending in -a:

das Motorfahrrad → das/die Mofa, die Mofas.

For the -e ending, the normal declination of words ending in -e is used.

das Pennal → die Penne, die Pennen

Shortcuts ending in -a and -e are very uncommon.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.