I've been listening to the song "Blau wie das Meer" by Mr. Hurley & die Pulveraffen, and there's one part of the lyrics that uses "so wie" instead of just "wie." I'm wondering if there's a shade of difference in meaning, or if it's just a stylistic choice.

The line is "breit so wie die Ärsche von den Weibern auf Tortuga" would it be equivalent to say "breit wie...", or is there a rule I don't know at play here.

I don't know the song (and from your quotes from the lyrics I believe it's better not to know such a song), but I guess the word »so« was just added because of the rhythm. Normally you wouldn't use »so« at this place, but poems and lyrics have their own rules. In poems and lyrics such minor errors are acceptable. Commented Mar 11, 2018 at 8:16
  • The band sings pirate- and nautical-themed songs, but that one line is about as extreme as the language gets, for the most part. Thanks for the usage info! Commented Mar 11, 2018 at 20:28
  • "The band sings pirate- and nautical-themed songs" - From what I could read here, I guess they rather sing sexist alcohol-related songs. Commented Mar 11, 2018 at 21:14
  • Their playlist definitely does include a few such songs. :-) Commented Mar 11, 2018 at 21:18

1 Answer 1

The relevant text line is

Ich bin blau wie das Meer,

voll wie un-ser Lade-raum,

breit so wie die Är-sche

von den Wei-bern auf Tor-tu-ga

That so is a filler to bring that line to a length of six syllables. (Laderaum has three syllables, but the singer shrinks Lade- into one.) Another option had been streching the wie.

The last line has eight syllables for distinction.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.