What are some resources for speeding up learning of advanced German mathematics-vocabulary?

You could add your current skill level in German to your question, so that's easier to recommend something matching your level. Please edit your question. Also add what you've tried so far, like math textbooks, wikipedia pages, or such, and what you liked or did not like about them. – Robert Mar 22 '18 at 3:00
    This is also about the math skill required. Are you at Eigenvalues already? – Janka Mar 22 '18 at 3:06
  • You could watch German online learning content (e.g. on one of the popular video channels) and take notes of the terms used there. – Christian Geiselmann Mar 22 '18 at 12:30
    TBH just buy a German math book on any topic you want to learn and look up words if you don't get what they are saying. It is actually pretty easy in any direction, you can even read french math books with just basic knowledge. – RoyPJ Mar 22 '18 at 13:42
    Watching university-level lectures on YouTube is a great way, and probably one of the most natural ways since that's how one would learn it as a native speaker. – xish Mar 29 '18 at 0:56

Import this German-English CSV file (1,925 word pairs!) into FlashQard, KWordQuiz, Anki, or a similar program for drilling.

A formal approach would be to start with the internet documentation for common core-standards and curricula (Rahmenlehrpläne) as implemented in a particular city or state in Germany, e.g., Berlin. Chrome will automatically prompt you to translate the page I've linked to. Table 1 of that page organizes these standards by subject/grade-level. From there, you need only look for key terms and translate.

A quick reference approach would be to Google translate a particular term and to Wiki its translation in the target language, i.e. German, and then to repeat with neighboring words in the target article until the context becomes clear.

I learned quite quickly by browsing through this book: https://www.springer.com/de/book/9783322943804

Viel Erfolg!

Above you confirmed that you are addressing graduate level mathematics. In this case, my recommendation is to get hold of one or two well-written textbooks on core topics. Here are some examples:

• Ben Schweizer: Partielle Differentialgleichungen
  • Folkmar Bornemann: Numerische lineare Algebra
  • Christian Hesse: Wahrscheinlichkeitstheorie.

In this way, you will pick up the vocabulary much faster than with any word lists or dictionaries, and you will get a realistic feeling for mathematical writing in German.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.