I found a journal whose earliest date appears to be the 1821. It appears to be written in Sutterlin text. I've attempted to translate these myself by comparing Sutterlin text to this but so far I haven't been able to get meaningful words, i.e. the German to English translation doesn't recognize my interpretation of the letter(s) as a German word.

Could you help translate this (2nd) page?

The family name is Bollinger. This particular page is accompanied by a hand drawn painting of an urn that may be in a cemetery?

Bollinger Journal, date 23 September 1823

For the records: This is not Sütterlin, which only became popular after 1928, but rather Deutsche Kurrentschrift that used to be the standard handwriting in the 19th century.
    – tofro
    Mar 31 '18 at 21:08

I can come up with the following:

Nimm dies kleine Angedenken

Freundschaft, Achtung weiht es Dir,

Könnte ich das Schicksal lenken,

Immer bliebe ich allhier

Was sind doch der Menschenfreuden(?)

Kaum daß man sich kennen lernt

Muß man sich schon wieder scheiden

Freund Ach! so lebe wohl

Potsdam, den 23. September 1823

Zur Erinnerung Deines Freundes W. Schierling

Take this small souvenir

Friendship, respect it shall show

If I could steer destiny

I would stay forever here

How are man's joys

barely do we know each other

must we part yet again

Friend so fare you well

An urn is relatively improbable. This text was rather written to somebody who left for somewhere far away (i.e. not that far away...) as a memento.

• It's not "weist" in the second line, but "weiht". In the last line the missing word is "Acht" wich is archaic and means attention or care. A strange thing is that the preposition before "Menschenfreude" seems to be "der" and not "die", indeed, and which is hard to explain
    – Beta
    Apr 1 '18 at 5:34
    Der Gebrauch eines partitiven Genitivs als Subjekt oder Subjektsprädikativum ist archaisch, aber nicht unbekannt.
    – mach
    Apr 1 '18 at 6:56
  • Thanks @mach. I of course meant article, and not preposition in my comment
    – Beta
    Apr 1 '18 at 8:10
  • Acht doesn't make a lot of sense to my modern mind here. Ach I would understand, but there clearly seems to be a "t"
    – tofro
    Apr 1 '18 at 9:18
    Das Zeichen ähnelt zwar einem t, aber das vorangehende h ist nicht damit verbunden so wie in den Wörtern Achtung und weiht. Deshalb halte ich es für ein Ausrufezeichen.
    – mach
    Apr 1 '18 at 11:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.