As I said in the title:

What is the difference between "Keine Ahnung" and "Ich weiß nicht"?

They both roughly mean I do not know.

Keine Ahnung literally translated is "No Idea"

Is Ich weiß nicht litterally translated "I white not" or "I do not know"?

What are the different uses between them (What are each used for)?

And if you could, explain how "I white not" became "I do not know".

closed as off-topic by πάντα ῥεῖ, Björn Friedrich, Robert, Hubert Schölnast, IQV Apr 10 '18 at 8:54

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace a dictionary, thesaurus, or conjugation table. If you have already consulted such sources and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – πάντα ῥεῖ, Björn Friedrich, Robert, Hubert Schölnast, IQV
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

""I white not"" is nonsense. The correct translation of Ich weiss nicht to english is I don't know. – πάντα ῥεῖ Apr 9 '18 at 17:09
  • I have no clue what you're actually asking about (pun intended). – πάντα ῥεῖ Apr 9 '18 at 18:08
  • Unfortunately Google Translate gets that wrong. Not into the other direction though (for both written forms). – πάντα ῥεῖ Apr 9 '18 at 18:23
  • Where did you "to white" get from? Doesn't it mean e.g. turning something white? – SomeWindowsUser Apr 9 '18 at 19:15
    "weiß" --> "white", but that is the adjective. OTOH, "weiß", a form of the verb "wissen" (to know) means "know" or "knows", depending on the person. "Ich weiß nicht" means literally "I do not know". – Rudy Velthuis Apr 9 '18 at 19:31

The difference between "Keine Ahnung" and "Ich weiß nicht" is, that "Keine Ahnung" is more rough, you wouldn't say it for instance to your boss/superior. In the bottom line, they both mean the same.

"you wouldn't say it for instance to your boss/superior" Depends on the quality of their question and your balls :-P ... – πάντα ῥεῖ Apr 9 '18 at 19:21
  • @πάνταῥεῖ That's right, of course :D But if you don't want to take some risks, you wouldn't use it – SomeWindowsUser Apr 9 '18 at 19:22
    If you really don't want to take risk, you'd better say neither, but cant in depth knowledge about the topic. – πάντα ῥεῖ Apr 9 '18 at 19:24
  • @πάνταῥεῖ Can cant be translated in your sentence as "heucheln"? – SomeWindowsUser Apr 9 '18 at 19:27
    Yes, that's what I meant to say. One of my fav translations is "Phrasen dreschen" :-D – πάντα ῥεῖ Apr 9 '18 at 19:28

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.