What's the most commonly used word used to mean invoice?

What's the difference in meaning between Rechnung and Faktur?

Your question would be better if you could show some research and ask what specifically is not clear to you. – Robert Apr 13 '18 at 15:29
  • My research is that of looking at several very simple English-to-German dictionaries and not being sure what the difference in those terms is, what contexts they are being used in, and whether one is more appropriate in some situations. – Tin Man Apr 14 '18 at 7:27

The most commonly used word for the english term "invoice" is:

Rechnung

The word "Faktur" is in my opinion kind of obsolete and barely ever used nowadays.

Dict.cc: Screenshot from Dict.cc

Lingue: Screenshot from Lingue

Reference 1: https://www.dict.cc/?s=invoice

Reference 2: https://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/search?source=auto&query=invoice

| improve this answer | |
  • Did you read this, or does it also come from personal experience? – Tin Man Apr 13 '18 at 12:55
    Both :) On the one hand you can see it in the screenshot I have embedded. I don't know exactly what the metadata with the number stands for, but I guess the higher the number, the more often it is used as translation (I think it's based on any search results for translations or maybe any rating). On the other hand I am German and the term "Faktur" is a pretty rare word to me. – SteffPoint Apr 13 '18 at 12:59
    I'm Austrian and I haven't ever heard of nor used the term "Faktur". (I have used "Fraktur", which means fracture. 😉) – Stefan_Fairphone Apr 13 '18 at 14:20
    @Stefan_Fairphone, nor have I as someone from Eastern Germany. – Björn Friedrich Apr 13 '18 at 16:02

I disagree with SteffPoints Answer regarding "Faktura". In business in general this is a very well known word, used in everyday language. But you need to distinguish:

Rechnung is mostly the paper / pdf / document that is sent to somebody.

Faktura is the process of creating that document.

Seeing that special meaning it is normal, that someone who has nothing to do with writing invoices does not know that meaning and thinks it is "barely used".

As I am not a native english speaker, I have no idea, if "invoice" really has both meanings in english, but if it has, then the translation for the different meanings are correct.

| improve this answer | |
    The process of creating the document is called Fakturierung . Faktura is the result. However i agree, that "Faktura" and "Fakturierung" are well known business words (e.g. when you are using SAP) – mtwde Apr 13 '18 at 17:01
  • OK. then the usage of the word is wrong here in our company... As for us the monthly "Faktura" is creating all the invoices for all of our customers... – Torsten Link Apr 13 '18 at 17:02
  • And the OP asked for "Faktur" and not for "Faktura". – IQV Apr 16 '18 at 6:02
  • So what? Faktur and Faktura are the same word just from different countries... – Torsten Link Apr 16 '18 at 6:53

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.