My question is as mentioned in the title. My try is

Es tut mir leid, dass du krank bist.

Are there other more typical sentences?

I'd not use it. Sounds weird to me to say "tut mir leid" for something that is not my fault. Search the site to find other opinions on this.

I'd rather say "schade / zu dumm, dass du krank warst [und nicht kommen konntest]" in retrospect, or, if the person is actually still sick, I'd use "Gute Besserung" ("get well soon").

| improve this answer | |
  • Does it sound weird, even in a "brief" ? – Hussien Chahin Apr 18 '18 at 22:53
    In my opinion (I am a native German Speaker), it does not sound weird at all. It can be used both in written and spoken language. But the proposals made by Robert ("Schade") are maybe more typical. – EFrank Apr 19 '18 at 7:54
  • @HussienChahin I'm getting confused here. Do you mean the German word "Brief" (letter) or the English word "brief" (briefing, presentation for conveying information)? Assuming the German Brief: again, I'd not use it; maybe for personal preference. "Get well" cards usually focus on the future and getting well, not so much on "sorry you couldn't do something cause you were / are sick". With that it would depend on the context of the letter: do you want to tell the sick person what they missed or tell them you care about them and hope they get better? – Robert Apr 19 '18 at 20:56
  • @Robert yeah sorry for the confusion,it's "brief" in german.As you said I want to show that I care for them and hope they become better – Hussien Chahin Apr 19 '18 at 21:01
    "zu dumm, dass du krank warst" sounds rather informal in my opinion – Lykanion Apr 19 '18 at 22:47

Es tut mir leid, dass du krank bist

Are there other more typical sentences?

What you have so far is fine, and more or less "typical" in such case. Though there could be many more wordings to express that same situaton, e.g.:

Schade, dass es Dir1 nicht so gut geht.

Ich bin bestürzt zu erfahren, dass Du1 krank bist.

Totally depends on what you really want to express regarding your feelings, or seriousness of the illness.
The latter would probably apply better, if you noticed that your friend is impacted with a serious disease like cancer or such, but not applicable for a simple cold.

There may be also variations on tense like

Es tut mir leid, dass Du krank warst. (Perfect I)

or

Es tut mir leid, dass Du krank gewesen bist. (Perfect II)

1)Note that du / dir is written with a capital D as a form of politeness and respect.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.