For example, if I say "cirka 80% der Deutschen" do I say "ist" or "sind" after?

P.S Please don't tell me to compare it to English because:

1) English and German are different languages

2) I don't actually know how it is treated in English (for certain) either

• Even in english you would say are and not preferably be. Apr 25, 2018 at 18:20
  • @πάνταῥεῖ "be"??
    – Beta
    Apr 25, 2018 at 19:26
  • @Beta Well maybe better "About 80% of germans is a moron and racist jerks" be is used infinitive in my example. I probably should think that over. Apr 25, 2018 at 19:30
  • @Beta Fixed my answer. Apr 25, 2018 at 19:35

4 Answers 4

If the percentage is used as a countable numeral such as in the example given we put them in plural:

80% der Deutschen sind mit ihrem Leben zufrieden.

This is different for the numeral 1 which usually is singular:

Ein Deutscher ist mit seinem Leben sehr unzufrieden.

Now if we say one percent we can see both usages if the result is again a countable quantity (examples from the first page of Google search results):

Plural:

• Nur ein Prozent der Deutschen sind bereit, Geldanlagen mit hohem Risiko zu nutzen.
  • Etwa ein Prozent der Deutschen sind gegen Erdnüsse allergisch.

Singular:

• Rund ein Prozent der Deutschen ist davon betroffen.
  • Etwa ein Prozent der Deutschen ist internetabhängig, während es in Asien sieben Prozent sind.

Sometimes this even gets mixed:

• Ungefähr ein Prozent der Deutschen sind pathologische Glücksspieler, ein weiteres Prozent ist suchtgefährdet.

"cirka 80% der Deutschen"

That certainly is a crowd (and not a single german person)

So you clearly have to use plural:

cirka 80% der Deutschen sind unzufrieden mit ihrer Situation.

2) I don't actually know how it is treated in English (for certain) either

Even in English you would say are and not is (a):

about 80% of the germans are is unsatisfied with their Situation.

This focusses very much on the one example given. How about a more general answer that addresses the question as if the titl would stand alone? Apr 25, 2018 at 18:26
    This is a correct answer with a wrong argument. A group of Germans is also a crowd and not a single person. Nevertheless, you clearly have to use singular: die Gruppe von Deutschen ist ... Apr 25, 2018 at 18:51
  • @BjörnFriedrich Well, that wasn't really in question. If the sentence goes: "80% der Deutschen sind ... blah ..., diese Gruppe von Deutschen ist ." then maybe Note there's still plural used primarily. Apr 25, 2018 at 19:00

It's almost exactly as it is in English:

In case the subject we take the percentage of is singular and in the nominative, the verb may be singular or plural.

80% Energie wird verschwendet.

80% Energie werden verschwendet.

80% Energy is wasted. (In English, singular is mandatory)

In case that subject is plural, the verb is plural. The verb must also be plural if the subject is not in nominative.

40% Studierende sind Frauen.

40% der Studierenden sind Frauen.

40% of the students are women.

Laut DIN 5008 wird zwischen die Zahl und das Prozentzeichen ein Leerzeichen geschrieben, weil das Symbol ein ganzes Wort abkürzt.
    – IQV
    Apr 26, 2018 at 6:41
    Würdest auch Hälfte Energie schreiben? Mir scheint der Artikel hier unverzichtbar...
    – guidot
    Apr 26, 2018 at 6:50
    @IQV ... und laut anderen Regelwerken (Duden, z.B.) soll man ein "halbes Leerzeichen" setzen, wenn man kann, oder keins, wenn nicht. Wir sind doch hier nicht in der Industrie ;)
    – tofro
    Apr 26, 2018 at 9:24
    @guidot Man kann "%" wie eine Maßeinheit betrachten - dann braucht man keinen Artikel (man schreibt auch nicht "ein Dutzend der Eier"). Man kann es auch wie einen "Anteil" betrachten, dann sollte man einen Artikel setzen, da gebe ich dir Recht. Die Beispiele stammen fast wörtlich aus "Duden, gutes und richtiges Deutsch" und sollten daher einigermaßen wasserdicht sein.
    – tofro
    Apr 26, 2018 at 9:34

Look at this:

Das eine Buch ist spanndend.

Die achtzig Bücher sind spannend.

Here, it is pretty clear that ist is used for a single item and sind for many items. The form of the verb sein depends on how many items you are talking about.

Now, what are percentages? Well, percentages are used to express proportions, more precisely the number of items per one hundred of similar items. Actually, percent is Latin for von Hundert. So, the form of sein still depends on how many items (of one hundret) you are talking about:

Das eine Buch von hundert Büchern ist spannend.

Die achtzig Bücher von hundert Büchern sind spannend.

or, expressed using the percentage symbol,

Das 1 % der Bücher ist spannend.

Die 80 % der Bücher sind spannend.

In summary, we have

einer (von hundert) ist ⇒ 1 % ist

achtzig (von hundert) sind ⇒ 80 % sind

• What if the 1% refers to 10 books out of 1000? Apr 26, 2018 at 14:38
  • @AndrewJames The question "What if ... " does not make sense, because 10 out of 1000 actually does refer to 1%, just as 1a out of 100a does for any positive-real number a. Mathematically speaking, proportions are invariant with respect to the change of unit. Of course, you may express 10 out of 1000 differently, for example, as "das sind 10 Promille". But that does not affect the other expression "das ist ein Prozent". Apr 26, 2018 at 15:03
  • So you mean to say that if 1% of the books is 10 books, you can still say "1% der Buecher ist..."? Apr 26, 2018 at 15:14

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.