I've heard the rule of how it is verbs of movement, but that doesn't really explain to me why bleiben takes sein in the perfect as well.

It's verbs of movement, verbs of a change of state and sein, geschehen/passieren, werden, and bleiben. – Janka Apr 25 '18 at 22:23
    You might define 'bleiben' as a zero movement. – Ralf Joerres Apr 26 '18 at 17:05
  • ohhh that makes much more sense. I also saw somewhere about transitivity. Should I ignore that? Also do you know where I can find a list of all sein verbs? – Andrew James Apr 26 '18 at 17:30
  • einschlafen is similar. And "fahren" can take both "sein" and "haben". – Greenca May 10 '18 at 12:42
    The transitive "jemanden fahren" takes "haben". – Tilman Schmidt May 12 '18 at 23:10

You can see a "most used" list here, it has a "complete list" at the bottom but I didn't check the long list. Note that some words may have both (like "sitzen").

Also note that when forms of "sein" are used it may seem like there is a "sein" verb but it actually is the verb "sein" itself, which can be confusing: e.G. "essen" -> "Ich habe gegessen." compare "Die Sache ist gegessen." -> On a second look one notes that "gegessen" here is not a verb in this sentence.

The rule is:

1. Verbs that move (including not-move like "bleiben", "stehen", ...)
  2. Verbs that change state (including not-change like "sein")
  3. Some exceptions

To group the linked list by this rule:

Moving

• auswandern – ist ausgewandert
  • bleiben – ist geblieben
  • explodieren – ist explodiert
  • fahren – ist gefahren
  • fallen – ist gefallen
  • fliegen – ist geflogen
  • folgen – ist gefolgt
  • gehen – ist gegangen
  • kommen – ist gekommen
  • klettern – ist geklettert
  • landen – ist gelandet
  • laufen – ist gelaufen
  • reisen – ist gereist
  • rennen – ist gerannt
  • schwimmen – ist/hat geschwommen
  • sitzen – ist/hat gesessen
  • springen – ist gesprungen
  • starten – ist gestartet
  • stehen – ist/hat gestanden
  • steigen – ist gestiegen
  • wandern – ist gewandert
  • treten – ist getreten
  • zurückkehren – ist zurückgekehrt

Statechange

• sein – ist gewesen
  • sterben – ist gestorben
  • wachsen – ist gewachsen
  • werden – ist geworden
  • aufwachen – ist aufgewacht
  • verbrennen – ist verbrannt

Exceptions

• begegnen – ist begegnet

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.