- Hat er gute Laune oder schlechte Laune? - Eher schlechte Laune, denke Ich

is the position of "denke" correct here? Does a comma imply a differrent clause here?

The title to this question is rather confusing but I'll simply answer the two questions you formulated. Yes, the position of "denke" is correct. The word "ich" is not written with capital "i" though.

The answer is basically a shortened form of: "Er hat eher schlechte Laune, denke ich." In order to seperate the clauses you use a comma. The comma is also necessary if you switch the clauses: "Ich denke, er hat eher schlechte Laune."

| improve this answer | |
  • Thanks, "ich" being capital was a typo. Is the reason for the inverted verb order in "Denke ich" because it is the second clause? I recall a rule that the word order is inverted in a sentence with 2 independent clauses in the clause that comes second. But now I realize, that if this is the case then it would have been "Ich denke, hat er eher schlechte Laune" which is probably wrong. – EvilRaceHorse Apr 28 '18 at 10:44
  • Yes, that would be wrong. If I have time, I'll write another edit for that... – lmr May 1 '18 at 7:16
  • I'm looking forward to it. I seemed to have a subconscious notion that if there is a comma involved it must be because it is separating clauses. But in this case, the word order is reversed because "Eher schlechte Laune" is part of the main clause and the verb is trying to stay in the second position, right? – EvilRaceHorse May 1 '18 at 23:18
  • Alright, here we go: The rule to memorize is that the finite verb is in second position. And here, the dependent clause would be in the first position. So it is either "Eher schlechte Laune [position 1], denke [position 2] ich [position 3]." or "Ich [position 1] denke [position 2], eher schlechte Laune [position 3]." – lmr May 2 '18 at 11:41
    Yes, that should be it. Nevertheless, what I stated above stays true for other cases – lmr May 5 '18 at 7:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.