This morning's Süddeutsche has a headline "Trump redet sich im US-TV um Kopf und Kragen".

I was looking for a good English translation, but pages likee this don't help. Can you?

In the case of this particular individual it might be sufficient to just write: "He's on TV." Commented Apr 27, 2018 at 11:42
  • Das ist ja eine Frage, die nach einem englischen Idiom sucht, also hier Fehl am Platze ist. Commented Apr 27, 2018 at 20:22
  • Someone upvoted ` it might be sufficient to just write: "He's on TV."`??!! That loses the whole point of it
    – Mawg
    Commented Apr 28, 2018 at 7:22
    @Mawg No, it just equates "T. speaks" with "T. risks his neck with careless talk". Which is, for this particular inidivdual, not a totally inappropriate equation. Commented May 4, 2018 at 9:14

2 Answers 2

A translation of the term sich um Kopf und Kragen reden is

to risk one's neck with careless talk

which seems to be a usual phrase in English.

• I am wondering if one's neck is not meant personally, so to say I am digging the grave for someone else rather than for me?
    – Thomas
    Commented Apr 27, 2018 at 9:28
    @Thomas "sich um Kopf und Kragen reden" is reflexive, so it's one's personal neck.
    – Annatar
    Commented Apr 27, 2018 at 13:36
  • @Annatar Right, the German "sich" is reflexive of course, but it is not in the English translation.
    – Thomas
    Commented Apr 27, 2018 at 13:43
  • @Thomas Strictly speaking it's not, I guess. But I'd surely expect a "someone" instead of "one" if we speak about another person's neck, and assume that "one" is reflexive by default.
    – Annatar
    Commented Apr 27, 2018 at 13:57
    What about Trump risks his neck... ;)
    – Takkat
    Commented Apr 27, 2018 at 14:16

My favourite dictionary offers:

to talk oneself into trouble

and yes, it is strongly addressing the talking person as afterwards in trouble. For other cases a different word like denunzieren would be used.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.