How is synthetic division called in Germany?

  • 2
    You might mention, that there is no german Wikipedia article linked to the english one, for easily finding an answer. May 8, 2018 at 20:00

3 Answers 3


I think it would be referred to either generally as Polynomdivision / Partialdivision, which is the general term for polynomial division, or alternatively as das Horner-Schema. We have that name in English too; Horner's Scheme/Rule/Method, and in both languages as far as I understand it's not exactly the same as saying "synthetic division" in English, but it's the underlying principle behind synthetic division. To my knowledge (and after doing some research), there isn't a more specific term for synthetic division in German.



From the English Wikipedia page on Horner's Method:

"...synthetic division is based on Horner's method."

Source: https://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedquery.php?idThread=887602&idForum=1&lang=de&lp=ende

  • I can testify that students in german Switzerland never heard about "synthetische Division" but many heard about Horner Schema.
    – Menny
    May 9, 2018 at 9:56
  • "Polynomdivision" is definitely the standard expression. A Google search gives 1.800.000 hits, "synthetische Division" only 65.000. Aug 1, 2021 at 9:40

It's easy: "synthetische Division"

  • There is no this method in German wiki. Is it popular in Germany? Maybe it has another name?
    – Paul R
    May 8, 2018 at 17:49
  • @AndrewFount "Is it popular in Germany?" Well, that's more a question for the mathematicians rather than the language specialists. I think that translation should be correct. May 8, 2018 at 18:14
  • 2
    I have never heard of it, but I get hits with Google.
    – Carsten S
    May 8, 2018 at 18:44

Looks indeed to be easy: Synthetische Division



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.