How is synthetic division called in Germany?

  • 2
    You might mention, that there is no german Wikipedia article linked to the english one, for easily finding an answer. – user unknown May 8 '18 at 20:00

I think it would be referred to either generally as Polynomdivision / Partialdivision, which is the general term for polynomial division, or alternatively as das Horner-Schema. We have that name in English too; Horner's Scheme/Rule/Method, and in both languages as far as I understand it's not exactly the same as saying "synthetic division" in English, but it's the underlying principle behind synthetic division. To my knowledge (and after doing some research), there isn't a more specific term for synthetic division in German.



From the English Wikipedia page on Horner's Method:

"...synthetic division is based on Horner's method."

Source: https://dict.leo.org/forum/viewUnsolvedquery.php?idThread=887602&idForum=1&lang=de&lp=ende

| improve this answer | |
  • I can testify that students in german Switzerland never heard about "synthetische Division" but many heard about Horner Schema. – Menny May 9 '18 at 9:56

It's easy: "synthetische Division"

| improve this answer | |
  • There is no this method in German wiki. Is it popular in Germany? Maybe it has another name? – Andrew Fount May 8 '18 at 17:49
  • @AndrewFount "Is it popular in Germany?" Well, that's more a question for the mathematicians rather than the language specialists. I think that translation should be correct. – πάντα ῥεῖ May 8 '18 at 18:14
  • 2
    I have never heard of it, but I get hits with Google. – Carsten S May 8 '18 at 18:44

Looks indeed to be easy: Synthetische Division


| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.