I have been asked to check a translation from German into English where the term Personalmarketing has been rendered as recruitment marketing. This doesn't feel right to me.

I understand Personalmarketing to have something to do with recruitment with a focus on improving the company branding.

Is this correct and how might it be translated succinctly into English?

• Denglish -> English. Awww! – πάντα ῥεῖ May 16 '18 at 18:56
  • "This doesn't feel right to me." - can you elaborate on whether it just sounds weird to you or whether you have any doubts it carries the same meaning? – O. R. Mapper May 17 '18 at 14:17
  • @O.R.Mapper mainly because recruitment sounds like an activity whereas Personal is more of an entity. – paul May 17 '18 at 18:39

Its an artificial word that describes a HR position, specifically the one who is responsible for looking after the Job advertisements and sourcing of candidates (as opposed to doing payroll, compliance and disciplinary stuff)

It think recruitment would fit best in most circumstances. Context would help though ...

• You mean just 'recruitment' and not 'recruitment marketing'? – paul May 23 '18 at 6:05
  • @paul: Yes, recruitment marketing seems unusual to me - but then, I´m not a native English speaker. If you search for job-ads Recuiter seems to be the common term, so I imagine the Recruiter would work in recruitment? I found one reference for "Recruiter, Marketing" – Daniel May 23 '18 at 7:31

From Wikipedia:

Personnel marketing is understood as a cross-departmental function that draws on the instruments and content of all human resources functions in a target-group-related manner and promotes an integrative view across all interfaces.

Please include the link to the article, and use quote markup (>) to mark the content that is not your own :) – unor May 16 '18 at 20:37
  • Is this your own translation of this German Wikipedia article's first line: de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personalmarketing ? – Arsak May 17 '18 at 12:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.