I was wondering how to best translate the German idiom "Schluss mit Lustig" which means something like "now it's serious, I'm not fooling around anymore".

I read on some wiki that "the party's over" can be used, but looking that up it seems it that it doesn't really fit.

If there is an common idiom that would mean the same thing? I can always straight up translate it, but an idiom would be better.

closed as off-topic by Carsten S, peterh, user unknown, unor, Beta May 18 '18 at 5:22

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• Leo forum discussions recommend (scroll to the bottom) "party is over" as well, or "no more Mr Nice Guy". Guess it depends on the context what fits better. – Robert May 17 '18 at 21:12
  • I would simply say but seriously now. – Rudy Velthuis May 18 '18 at 10:13

If there is an common idiom that would mean the same thing?

OK let's get serious now!

Seems to be the best translation for me.

• That's too long, IMO. I prefer something like "But seriously now, do you really think ...". – Rudy Velthuis May 18 '18 at 10:17

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.