Can anyone help with the rules on the strong, weak, and mixed declension of nouns in German? I am particularly interested in those not mentioned in most textbooks.

Also, most people say that there are 4 classes of declension for nouns. Which are these 4 classes?

I have read the rules below, but I am not sure if they are correct, especially with respect to the feminine words:

A. Masculine / Neuter

1. Strong declension: The genitive singular ends with (-e)s, the nominative plural ends with -e/-er/-s.
  2. Mixed declension: The genitive singular ends with (-e)s, the nominative plural ends with (-e)n.
  3. Weak declension: Except for the nominative singular, all other cases end with (-e)n.

B. Feminine

1. Strong declension: The genitive singular without special ending, the nominative plural ends with -e/-s.
  2. Weak declension: The genitive singular without special ending, the nominative plural ends with (-e)n.

closed as too broad by user unknown, Björn Friedrich, Hubert Schölnast, Philipp, tofro Jun 17 '18 at 15:46

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Nouns start with capital letter only on German, on English they don't. – peterh May 22 '18 at 2:59
    Strong and weak declensions are terms for the inflection of adjectives, not nouns. The nouns themselves inflect according to their own class, and there are a lot more than 4 of those. You're better off just learning vocabulary items together with their plural ("Rad/Räder") before worrying about general rules. – Kilian Foth May 22 '18 at 6:04
    You might find an answer here german.stackexchange.com/questions/25357/… – c.p. May 22 '18 at 6:27
    I'm not allowd to comment yet but this is only a comment: Perhaps what you heard was 4 cases (N,G,D,A) and not 4 classes? – Tom Jun 15 '18 at 20:18

German Grammar has 4 cases, not 4 declension classes - These are much more.

A case is nominative, accusative, genitive, dative, a declension class is how those four cases are formed.

Declension classes are generally distinguished into strong and weak (and mixed, some even state a class of none) declension, and further subdivided in many more subclasses.

A full explanation on declension beyond this point is probably too exhaustive for this format. Also note that declension of substantives, adjectives and pronouns can further vary, which makes a full answer even more difficult.

Declension classes are normally used to, well classify words into exemplary groups based on empirical systematization of vocabulary - they would normally not help you much with actually learning the language

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.