Which one is correct?

Gegeben etwa der Term 1 des Typs Int, dann ist 1+1 ebenso vom Typ Int.

Gegeben etwa den Term 1 des Typs Int, dann ist 1+1 ebenso vom Typ Int.

Gegeben etwa der Term 1 des Typs Int, ist 1+1 ebenso vom Typ Int.

Gegeben etwa den Term 1 des Typs Int, ist 1+1 ebenso vom Typ Int.

Which setences of the above are correct and which are not? Why? References to reputable sources are welcome.

Gegeben is the past participle of geben, and used here like an adjective, so it doesn't rule any case.

The case of the substantive of the sentence is purely ruled by the verb here, which is "ist" - And this wants nominative.

Gegeben ist der Term

just like

Grün ist der Wald

(Actually, the sentence is Zustandspassiv, but I think the analogy to an adjective is easier to grasp)

• @MdAyquassar your new examples are still wrong. You just omitted the word dann in the part after the comma, but are still missing the verb ist in the main clause before the comma. – Arsak May 26 '18 at 8:37
  • @MdAyquassar I just wanted to point out that the additional dann in your new examples doesn't change them regarding your question or tofro's answer. To be honest, I only know the gegeben sei formulation, but I'm not a mathematician. The sentence without sei or ist sounds odd to me. – Arsak May 27 '18 at 19:07
  • @MdAyquassar The point is, without a "dann" or "so" the sentences 3 and 4 don't make any sense, even in a formal mathematical context where we tend to handle grammar a bit more loosely. These are all supposed to be "if-->then" statements that don't make a lot of sense without stating this. – tofro May 28 '18 at 11:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy