I found the following two sentences by searching online:

Ich habe ihm Kochen beigebracht.
Ich habe ihm das Programmieren beigebracht.

I'm puzzled by the fact that one sentence includes das and the other one doesn't.

Is the das just optional?

In other words, are the variants below correct?

Ich habe ihm das Kochen beigebracht.
Ich habe ihm Programmieren beigebracht.

Is there some succinct characterization of the verbs that one should precede with das in such a pattern?

"Is the das just optional?" Yes. – πάντα ῥεῖ Jun 4 '18 at 1:42
  • Meint man das Verb, geht auch "Ich habe ihm kochen beigebracht." bzw. "Ich habe ihm programmieren beigebracht.". Dann ist das wie "Ich bin baden gegangen." – äüö Jun 4 '18 at 14:04

The answer is almost to short to write as it is simple: YES. In this special case the article can be simply omitted.

I tried to find a reason for this special case with nominalized verbs, but could not.

There is even a third way to write all these sentences: You could use them with "zu" and an infinitive clause:

Ich habe ihm zu kochen beigebracht.
Ich habe ihm beigebracht, zu kochen

Both forms are valid but the first one is not used that often.

| improve this answer | |
    To my mind, there are slight differences, but they are not easily put into words. Consider 'I taught her to walk' : [1] Ich habe ihr Laufen beigebracht ------ [2] Ich habe ihr das Laufen beigebracht l ------- [3] Ich habe ihr beigebracht zu laufen ----- [2] seems to put more of a focus on the totality of the taught skill(?). Possibly the differences depend on context and inferred pronounciation, or something. – bukwyrm Jun 4 '18 at 6:57
  • Muss das Komma in Ich habe ihm beigebracht, zu kochen wirklich hin? – ohno Jun 4 '18 at 13:22
    Das Komma ist an der Stelle tatsächlich optional aber erlaubt. Siehe hier. – Torsten Link Jun 4 '18 at 13:26
    Infinitivgruppen, Partizipgruppen, Adjektivgruppen und entsprechende Wortgruppen können durch Kommas abgetrennt werden, um die Gliederung des Ganzsatzes zu verdeutlichen (§75 E2) oder sie als Zusatz oder Nachtrag zu kennzeichnen – Torsten Link Jun 4 '18 at 13:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.