I have a question regarding the use of nicht in a sentence with weil and perfekt. Which one of the two sentences is correct?

1. Ich habe die Prüfung nicht bestanden, weil ich nicht studiert habe.

2. Ich habe die Prüfung nicht bestanden, weil ich studiert nicht habe.

Of course I can avoid this problem by using denn, but I want to know how to deal with this.

The first variant is correct, the second is wrong. It makes no sense to negate an auxiliary, because it has no meaning of its own. – Janka Jun 4 '18 at 4:10
    You actually don't use "studiert" very often like that. You rather say "weil ich nicht gelernt habe". – maio290 Jun 4 '18 at 11:31
    No, you can make the same mistake when using "denn": "Ich habe nicht bestanden, denn ich nicht habe gelernt". To avoid this mistake in both cases, you can remember to ask yourself "denn ich habe was?" oder "weil ich was habe?". The answer would be "nicht gelernt.". – Thorsten Dittmar Jun 4 '18 at 13:22
    @JohnDoe "Of course I can avoid this problem by using "denn"" What do you mean in particular? – πάντα ῥεῖ Jun 4 '18 at 22:02
    @vectory Are you kidding? My comment refers to the last sentence where he says he could avoid this problem (the misplaced nicht) using denn instead of weil - and all I'm saying is that he can not. He could make the same mistake. – Thorsten Dittmar Sep 17 at 8:04

Sentence 1 is correct. "Nicht" comes before the verb in sub-clauses (where the verb is in end position).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.