If two adjectives are used to describe a noun they both will take the same case.

Ich habe den guten neuen Film gesehen

If the first of the adjectives is a possessive adjective, what declension does the secondary adjective take? Does the same rule hold true or does the subsequent adjective take the strong/weak declension?

1. Ich habe dir mein neu Buch geschenken.

2. Ich habe dir mein neue Buch geschenken.

3. Ich habe dir mein neues Buch geschenken.

I searched "adjectives following possessive adjectives german" on Google and all I could find were articles talking about how to conjugate the possessive adjective by themselves, which isn't the answer I'm looking for.

It would be the third option, but your verb conjugation is wrong.

This is how it should be:

1. Ich habe den guten neuen Film gesehen. (because Film is an accusative object)

and then:

1. Ich habe dir mein neues Buch geschenkt.

Adjectives are always inflected to match gender, number and case of the noun they refer to, no matter if the are possessive or not.

In this case Buch is neuter singular accusative, so both mein and neu are inflected to match that (mein and neues).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.