I have noticed that in some accents the "r" sound is more trilled. But does this happen in every accent?

In this video I cannot tell any difference between the two.

• I guess it depends on the dialect. In Hochdeutsch there is no difference. – tavkomann Jun 7 '18 at 13:48
    The difference is simple: "r" is voiced, "ch" is unvoiced. The differences between "r" sounds in different words is much more subtle and subject to dialects and ideolects. – Kilian Foth Jun 8 '18 at 6:23

The main difference between rauchen and brauchen is the r is at the beginning of the syllable in rauchen. If so, it has to make a sound. There aren't any silent sounds in German pronounciation.

In brauchen however, the r can become almost silent, a lot of speakers will simple aspirate it, making it sound as ch. Other speakers use the same r as at the beginning of a syllable.

It's more a matter of personal preference than of dialect, but southern speakers may even roll the r.

• The /r/ cannot become silent in the word brauchen. Otherwise, it would sound like Bauch, which it certainly does not. – mach Jun 10 '18 at 7:56
  • That's why I wrote almost. – Janka Jun 10 '18 at 12:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.