1. Ich mache meine Hausaufgabe noch
  2. Guten Tag noch!
  • in future / ongoing .respectively ... – πάντα ῥεῖ Jun 9 '18 at 15:02
  • Noch as in future? wouldn't it be more accurate to use Schon then? – MrsRona Jun 9 '18 at 15:07
  • Check my answer please. Schon is totally off. "Ich mache noch (schon) meine Hausaufgaben" would mean to refer the ongoing thing. Note the words position. schon noch makes the promise weaker (at least for a parents ears). – πάντα ῥεῖ Jun 9 '18 at 15:15
    @Tomas "when you will do it in the near future" or even not :-P ... – πάντα ῥεῖ Jun 9 '18 at 15:19
    Totally agree hehe. Just to add Ich mache das schon is similiar as "I am on it". – Tomas Jun 9 '18 at 15:21

Depending on the context, there are different possibilities, since the sentences are a bit imprecise.

Ich mache meine Hausaufgaben noch.

Ich mache immer noch meine Hausaufgaben.

I am still doing my homework.

Ich werde meine Hausaufgaben noch machen.

I will do my homework (later at some time).

Guten Tag noch!

Ich wünsche Dir/Ihnen noch einen guten (restlichen) Tag.

Have a nice (remaining) day!

(ironisch) Guten Tag noch!

(ironically, e. g. if you are angry at someone) Have a nice day!

schon can be used to say that you are already doing something ("I am already doing my homework.") or similar to noch ("I am certainly going to do my homework."). Concerning the latter, the difference is that schon implies more certainty. This can best be illustrated by a short example:

Ich mache das noch (irgendwann).

Keine Sorge, ich mache das schon (bald).

• Good explanation of the possibly negative connotation regarding the 2nd example! – πάντα ῥεῖ Jun 9 '18 at 15:50

Here are the best translations I am able to give with that narrow context:

1. Ich mache meine Hausaufgabe noch

I'll (certainly) do my homework (soon) later.

1. Guten Tag noch

Have a good day further on

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.