When I was learning English, I was greatly helped by a series of vocabulary lists, graded from 1st to 12th grade, and consisting of words that students in those grades were supposed to master1. After learning that vocabulary, I moved on to SAT and GRE prep books, for college-level and graduate-school-level vocabulary.

I'm looking for a similar graded approach to German vocabulary.

I am sure that something like this must exist for German, but I have not hit upon the right keywords and/or search strategy to find it. Any pointers would be appreciated.

I should point out that I am not interested in lists directed at learners of German as a second language. I am (primarily) interested in lists whose target audience consists of (school- and college-age) native speakers of German.

1I found these lists by chance, as a supplement in a dictionary. This all happened decades before Google.

German children learn reading from a Lesebuch in their German classes. Usually there is one per school grade 1-4, with texts written for the increasing vocabulary and grammar experience. – Janka Jun 18 '18 at 23:21
  • @Janka: Thanks for your comment. If you were to search for something approximating what I'm asking about, what keywords (in German, of course) would you use? – kjo Jun 19 '18 at 11:47

I guess you are looking for:

Wortschatz, Grundwortschatz or Basiswortschatz.

These terms are used in the context of educating German at school, usually at primary school.

Here is an example from Brandenburg and Berlin with the Grundwortschatz for grades 1 and 2 as well as 3 and 4. This document lists the Mindestwortschatz for the primary school in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. Hamburg offers a digital version of its Basiswortschatz for primary schools.

I am not aware of such lists for elder pupils.

While I understand, that this is not what you ask for, others coming across the question may be interested:

I never heard something of something corresponding to your 12 levels. The closest I'm aware of are the word lists of the language proficiency levels, one example is B1-Liste des Goethe-Instituts.

For books intended for children there are publisher specific classification schemes for the age range, which is somehow related, but not directly resulting in word lists.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.