I (vaguely) recall reading once that the word "Spaßfabrik" can be used to refer to someone that tends to be funny and/or joke around. Can any of you provide me with examples of its usage?

If I google this, I get links to all sorts of family fun parks … which I expected from the term Spaßfabrik. It's a former factory turned into a fun location. – Janka Jun 29 '18 at 20:34
  • I’ve never heard it before, neither in the sense you imply nor in the sense Janka implies. The mighty search engine supports Janka’s statement. However, if the term were used for a person, I’d probably understand it in context (but not without, and it would still sound artificial). – Philipp Jun 30 '18 at 6:35
    @Janka: Not necessary a former factory. Just something (or someone? -- not sure) that produces fun. – Rudy Velthuis Jun 30 '18 at 22:34

I never heard this term before, but even without any context it seems to be clear what it means. The english translation is

fun factory

and like you can guess the meaning of this english term without any context, you can do the same for the German »Spaßfabrik«.

It can be:

• A person who is funny and makes jokes all the time.
  • An organization or a company whose goal is to entertain people.

If you search the internet for the German term »Spaßfabrik« you will find fun parks who have this word in their name. But although I never have heard this word before, I also would find it appropriate to use it for a person who is permanently funny.

A related term (common although a bit outdated) for a person who does this at the work place is Betriebsnudel. – Christian Geiselmann Jun 30 '18 at 14:37
    @ChristianGeiselmann: Ohne Beschränkung auf die Arbeitswelt: Ulknudel – Hubert Schölnast Jun 30 '18 at 19:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.