Do we say

Es kann eventuell die Tür zum anderer Projekte öffnen.

or rather

Es kann eventuell die Tür zu anderer Projekte öffnen.

or are both wrong? Please provide a grammatical clarification.

• It would definitely be helpful to have not only the one sentence but also some context. – Christian Geiselmann Jul 12 '18 at 9:52
  • Since kann already indicates the optionality, eventuell is redundant. – guidot Jul 12 '18 at 10:55
    @guidot I think the optional use of "eventuell" allows a more fine grained distinction about expressing the chance. If you add "eventuell" you can express more uncertainty about increasing the chance with other projects. – Javatasse Jul 12 '18 at 14:25
    Please clarify what you want to translate: „to the projects of others“ or „to other projects“?! – Ludi Jul 17 '18 at 8:49

both are wrong.

Projekte is a neuter noun in German and it is plural. In that sentence it is dative.

anderer is male, singular AND it is nominative --> 3/3 wrong.

If you want to say "for ONE other project", then it would be:

Es kann eventuell die Tür zum anderen Projekt öffnen.

If you want to say "for other projects", then the right answer is:

Es kann eventuell die Tür zu anderen Projekten öffnen.

| improve this answer | |
  • Grammatically, yes. But stilistically it is still a bit awkward. You would probably express it some other way, but for telling how we need more context. – Christian Geiselmann Jul 12 '18 at 9:53

Both are wrong.

zum is an abbreviation for zu dem, which implies a singular object.

Ich gehe zum Strand

The following would be wrong

Ich gehe zum Fahrradständern

Also, zu requires the dative case, so the object must be in dative case:

Es kann eventuell die Tür zu anderen Projekten öffnen.

So you really have to decide what you want to say: Is it one project you're talking about? Then it would be

Es kann eventuell die Tür zum/zu dem anderen Projekt öffnen

Or are you talking about the prospect of acquiring other projects? Then it would be

Es kann eventuell die Tür zu anderen Projekten öffnen

| improve this answer | |
  • There's a typo in your last line _Ee > Er. Furthermore, it might sense to explain why the Fahrradständern example is wrong or skip it entirely. At the moment, I can not see how it contributes to your message :) – Arsak Jul 19 '18 at 11:20
  • Well, two lines above that I say "..., which implies a singular object". "Fahrradständern" is plural, that's why I'm giving the sentence as an example for "zum" being wrong here". – Thorsten Dittmar Jul 20 '18 at 6:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.