This is from Luther bible Johannes. (http://www.bibledbdata.org/onlinebibles/german_l/43_004.htm)

4:21 Jesus spricht zu ihr: Weib, glaube mir, es kommt die Zeit, daß ihr weder auf diesem Berge noch zu Jerusalem werdet den Vater anbeten.

I learned that in sub-clause, the main verbe should be placed in the last position, so the normal word order will be daß ihr weder auf diesem Berge noch zu Jerusalem den Vater anbeten werdet. But why is it daß ihr weder auf diesem Berge noch zu Jerusalem werdet den Vater anbeten. here? Is it an acceptable form in modern German language? (I'm self learning German and didn't study advanced Grammar yet). Or, is it because the adverb phrase weder auf diesem Berge noch zu Jerusalem comes to stress, the order den Vater anbeten werdet is inversed to werdet den Vater anbeten? Having said it, it seems plausible for me..Please someone explain it to me. Danke!

to `werdet anbeten

The answer to the question why may be hard to give. Luther himself wrote it like this in 1545 ("letzte Hand"):

Jhesus spricht zu jr / Weib / gleube mir / Es kompt die zeit / das jr weder auff diesem Berge / noch zu Jerusalem werdet den Vater an beten.

You can easily see that 500 years later German developed a bit. Nevertheless it was Martin Luther who with his own wordings tremendously influenced the German language. So your answer may well be: because Luther said so.

And indeed even much later "Luther Bible" translations tried to remain as close as possible to Luther with only adapting orthography:

• Jesus spricht zu ihr: Weib, glaube mir, es kommt die Zeit, daß ihr weder auf diesem Berge noch zu Jerusalem werdet den Vater anbeten.Luther Bible 1912

A modern translation will however change the wording according to orthography, grammar rules, and word meanings of today:

• Jesus spricht zu ihr: Frau, glaube mir, es kommt die Stunde, wo ihr weder auf diesem Berg noch in Jerusalem den Vater anbeten werdet.Schlachter Bibel 2000
  • Jesus sagte zu ihr: Glaube mir, Frau, es kommt die Zeit, da werdet ihr den Vater weder auf diesem Berg noch in Jerusalem anbeten.Gute Nachricht 1997

For a collection of more modern Bible translations see

| improve this answer | |
  • Oh, I see. Again, That was a clear explanation. :) Thanks! – Chan Kim Jul 23 '18 at 2:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.