this is my first post, and I'm looking forward to hearing your advice and insights!

So my question is how would I ask "When will it be done" in the context of perhaps something being cooked or a task that is nearing completion?

My go at it is "Wann wird es getan sein?" Would this make sense to a German speaker or is there a better translation or word for "done"?

• Translation of individual texts is typically considered off-topic here. – guidot Jul 27 '18 at 10:38
  • Oh ok, thanks. Is there a tag category that deals with individual text translations? – Soung Paek Jul 27 '18 at 10:53
  • No, off-topic means you are not supposed to ask and the question may be closed fast. Hint: Try deepl and possibly other translators and start here if you can't undertsand the results. – guidot Jul 27 '18 at 11:14
  • Such questions can be on topic for single word requests and when you do some research, i.e., your question is not so much about the actual translation but the reasoning / background / idioms about it. – Robert Jul 27 '18 at 14:41

For When will it be done? use in context of a task

Wann wird es fertig sein?

or in context of a event use

Wann ist es soweit?

| improve this answer | |
  • When would getan be correct? Dosen't it mean "done" as well? Also, "soweit", in a dictionary translates as 'insofar' or 'on the whole'. How would this make sense in the context of an event use? Is it simply colloquial? – Soung Paek Jul 27 '18 at 10:46
    @SoungPaek Using "getan" gives the sentence another meaning. "Wann wird es getan sein?" is normally not used, but "Es ist getan." for "It is done." is used to show that a really big, exhausting task is finally over, e.g. a murder, summoning the evil overlord,... Oftentimes, the sentence "Es ist getan." is followed by the speaker fainting from exhaustion; so in short: not to be used in everyday language. :) – Dirk Jul 27 '18 at 11:00
    Another commonly used word for "done" in the context of some task is "erledigt": "Wann ist die Arbeit erledigt?" – RHa Jul 28 '18 at 7:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.